Professional Public Speaking is achievable with hard work, determination and planning.
Making your presentations come alive begins with these six steps.
1. There are many steps required to reach this goal beginning with a realistic mindset of your weaknesses and strengths.
Having yourself evaluated by a Professional Public Speaking Coach and Trainer is an excellent way to begin this process. If you don’t know how others perceive your speaking, you will repeat any negative habits over and over until they become embedded in your muscle memory producing poor presentation results. We all have positive and negative speaking routines that we cannot recognize.
2. Once a speaker has their skills evaluated they are ready for step two which is practicing and rehearsing their new style of speaking.
Research shows that the best way to rehearse is out loud and on your feet. As you walk and talk, visualize the scene. Let your movement develop naturally from the narrative or script.
3. Memorizing your lines can be helpful but don’t get locked into a stressful frenzy if you forget words. Learn the thematic message you are giving and allow it to come forth in a relaxed conversational tone. If you must memorize certain aspects of your speech, take it one sentence at a time. Repeat the first sentence five times. Do this with the second sentence five times and then add the two together five times. Once you have the entire paragraph memorized, repeat the paragraph over and over five times.
4. Always begin with a powerful introduction. Remember! You only have seven seconds to WOW your audience. Include storytelling. Audiences are viscerally connected to you at that moment in time.
5. Think of yourself not only as an expert on your topic but an analyst. Over prepare.
6. Provide a dynamic conclusion. That is the last impression an audience has of you.
Bette Elly Klimitz